Monday, December 22, 2014

2013 in review :0

Today I was struck with a strong desire to do a year in review, to try and remember some of the highlights that I will inevitably forget.  When I logged on, I realized I didn't do a year in review for 2013!!! SO.  I will probably forget a great deal of the important things, but I need to try.  So here it is, 2013 in review, belated!  This is mostly for my own sake, so sorry if this reads super boring.

In 2013 I graduated nursing school.  This is most likely why I never blogged again.  Nursing school was one of the most energy draining/rewarding experiences I will ever have.  It is a marathon.  It is financially stressful.  It is a social sacrifice.  It is a bonding time.  It is a test of patience.

From nursing school, what I remember a year and a half later, and what I want to keep remembering, is the people.  Bethany, Jeff, Erin, and Lara.  Those were my 4 closest companions.  The whole crew was amazing, but these 4 were rocks who never stopped encouraging.  I don't want to forget Erin helping me with our lab presentations.  I don't want to forget Bethany's study dates at Kaldis. I don't want to forget the celebration the night before graduation with Lara!  I don't want to forget that I graduated MAGNA CUM LAUDE, even while working at Mercy and keeping 2 bands going.

And then there is passing boards.  While I want to remember this because it was a defining moment and a personal highlight of perseverance, I kind of wish I could forget the feelings of stress.  I still remember that day a year and a half later.  It took me 5 HOURS, and 265 questions to pass.

The stress didn't end there!  I jumped right into my first professional full time job (I mean, aside from that whole sales debacle).  My boss brought me into his office and said, "Do you want to keep working here after you graduate?" I said, "Yes."  He said, "Great, you've just been interviewed."

I hit the ground running.  And then immediately tripped on my own feet. And then fell flat on my face.  Working as a nurse on a trauma/surg floor is apparently extremely difficult!  After my month of training my boss told me I wasn't ready.  So he put me on the night shift.  I'll be honest I was devastated at the time.  All of my favorite people were on days.  I was one of the few people to be offered a day position right out of school.  I screwed up.

But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  I ended up loving the night crew way more.  I ended up learning so much (time management was and is my main struggle...when 5 people need 5 different things at the same time, it's tough!) Plus, I get paid more!

...what else?

Speedboats played some big shows.  We opened for a ton of well known bands.  The biggest highlight being, we got to perform UNDER THE ARCH! It was a jack daniels sponsored event, and I ended up getting the number of the prettiest jack daniels girl (and almost had a panic attack when I saw Kelly, but that's not important anymore).  Arthur played one of the most fun shows when we performed at the Tower Grove farmers market.  That was just such a great day playing music and then grabbing brunch at Russell's with Aubs and Charlie afterwards.

With nursing school in my rear view I decided to travel a little to celebrate.  I went to NY for the first time.  In NY I met up with the Thomas's (my cousins and aunt and uncle) and we did a ton of sight seeing.  I went to the world trade center memorial, the NBC building (and SNL stage!), saw Lion King on broadway, Time's square, Macy's, and the Empire State building! We even did a little boat tour around the statue of liberty.  Then I met up with my old friend Michael Becker and he showed me around the 'hip' district. He took me to a party at the famed Jane hotel.  This was actually a miserable experience because everyone there looked down there nose at me and I just wanted to leave the whole time. But it should be noted it was a cool building, and happened to be the dock that the survivors of the Titanic were taken to.  Then I met Chelsea and she showed me her NY world.  This was amazing!  She showed me Juilliard, she took me to Alice's bakery, walked around Central Park (and saw John Lennon's memorial), magnolia bakery on bleaker, either the met or the moma i cant remember now (but i saw a jackson pollack!)  We rented bikes and went around Williamsburg.

The only sad thing that comes to mind from that year is the fact that my sister and brother in law(one of my few remaining close friends in stl) moved to KS.


I know I'm forgetting a lot, but this is all for now!

No comments: