Friday, December 28, 2012

Year in review 2012

the end of the year is here again so as usual i find myself reflective of the year past, and contemplative for the year ahead.

since school is on break i have time, so let's jot down some memories and highlights from 2012:

The good: Had a childhood dream realized when Nate invited me to play hockey with him on scott trade center ice! I scored goals with kelly chase and terry yake (former blues). definitely comforted me during the nhl strike.  I joined another band (the breaks) and had a lot of fun writing songs for other people, and learning to perform as the sole lead singer.  The first show at a new venue (voce) was tons of fun, and i found myself having one of my best vocal performances yet.

        The band progressed wonderfully, even if no one really noticed but us.  We released our cd, a dream come true! It made RFT's top 50 stl releases of the year. i don't really think that's saying much, but the fact that we were recognized is at least comforting. We also played at many new venues like plush and firebird and gramophone and had the honor of playing AUCW, as Simon and Garfunkel.  I finally stopped throwing up before shows! We started recording the new album, and it is soooo fun!

        Had some lucky opportunities to see some great concerts.  i made up for a lack of quantity with super high quality.  I saw radiohead, fiona apple, and paul mccartney. i hope to take all three memories to my grave, as they were all inspiring and unforgettable. I also saw Louie CK at the fox. it was my first time experiencing the awesomeness of that building, and i was laughing the whole time, so it was pretty great!  Aaaand at the halloween party i saw nelly finally. it's only fitting since i live in st louis.

        Also, after over a year of struggling to get the government to help me pay my student loans i was finally able to open the communication channels and i will be getting around 6k that i almost didn't get. and that is HUGE.

The bad: As aforementioned, i dealt with some sickness, and with some stress at school. I had the bat debacle happen...basically a bat snuck into my house multiple times and attacked me (crawling under doors to get to me even!) I was haunted at one point! I had my first car wreck which is a terrifying experience. And obviously i'm still trying to understand Tony's passing.

The ugly: ...Kevin's mom?

Random memories i dont wanna forget: After years of trying to get over past loves, i finally got back up on the horse this year. I went on a couple dates, and had some fun. And even more importantly, so did Charlie. One of the more memorable dates for me was going to art hill and painting the basin onto a canvas at dusk.  I also had an amazingly weird float trip with char and chelsea. we climbed up a bluff off the river and came upon a bunch of creepy rusted out metal statues in the middle of the woods (one was a woman hugging a horse who had fallen on its back, while others looked like WWII bombs...i swear it!)  I also made zack's bday video, which i plan on reprising every year..

More random memories: I want to remember dancing in jessie's kitchen, practicing our justin beiber slide glide. i want to remember finding old love letters in the ceiling of dad's basement and pouring over them in the summer twilight. i want to remember kevin moving in at gma's place, adding some new energy to my living situation. and him getting me shwasted on my bday. i want to remember kevins 30th, where we had a bouncy house in the front yard, bbq and darts and beer pong in the back, jam sessions downstairs, makeout sessions in the bedroom, and limos out front.  i want to remember making 500 bucks at the singing competition at mercy hospital. and of course the euphoria of passing ATI exams, which can not really be explained or replicated.

I think i got all of the highlights.

Looking on to the next year, i find once again that what i want out of 2013 is to start working on lasting relationships. I want to reconnect with friends and family. i also want to travel. i hope to finish the album. i plan to move into my own place. i will most likely have to buy a new car.

But i just read over last years reflection and find it is still a burning desire for me to appreciate the present moment. be thankful for the people i DO have in my life. for the roof i DO have currently over my head. for the car i DO have now. for the success professionally and scholastically that i AM experiencing. I reallllly need to be more thankful and more driven to wake up each morning with purpose.  If you read this all the way through then god bless you, let's go get coffee sometime, and talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly in your life.  I love ya'll and i love life, and from the bottom of my heart i hope you love your life too.

No comments: